Bringing yoga to children has been a goal for me from the beginning of my yoga journey. Gandhi said it best: “If you want to reach real peace in this world, we should start educating children.”
Yoga has enormous benefits for them. It can help them:
- Cope with stress more effectively
- Relax and sleep better
- Increase their self-esteem and confidence
- Improve their attention span
- Learn breathing techniques that increase energy and decrease anxiety
- Learn relaxation and stress management techniques for school and at home
- Improve their motor skills
Regular yoga practice also provides effective help for learning disorders, hyperactivity and stress.
The classes are inter-curricular and, through movements, games and breathing stimulate all areas of a child’s development:
- Personal, social and emotional development
- Communication, language and literacy
- Problem solving, reasoning and numeracy
- Knowledge and understanding of the world
- Physical development
- Creative development
Most of all, yoga for children is a lot of FUN!
I currently teach in schools and nurseries in Ashford. If you work in a school and are interested in bringing yoga to your students, please contact me to discuss this further.
I also run private classes for children and families.